ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jorgen Wadum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:08:00 +0200
In The Netherlands we have c. 880 individual members of ICOM.
Based on the Dutch National membership list (obtained from ICOM) I was able
to break down the numbers of Voting Members per IC as well as the number of
associated members (non-Voting).
The interesting thing is that even if a country as NL is having a large
amount of ICOM members only just over one quarter has taken the effort to
register as a Voting Member in one of the IC.

Int. Comm.              Voting members  Non-voting members      Total
AVICOM                  2                       7                       9
CECA                            34                      22                      56
CIDOC                   13                      10                      23
CIMAM                   23                      21                      44
CIMCIM                  2                       2                       4
CIMUSET                         2                       6                       8
CIPEG                   3                       1                       4
COSTUME                         9                       5                       14
DEMHIST                         2                       1                       3
GLASS                                           5                       5
ICAMT                   7                       8                       15
ICDAD                   14                      14                      28
ICEE                            3                       12                      15
ICFA                            16                      15                      31
ICLM                            2                       1                       3
ICMAH                   11                      7                       21
ICME                            10                      10                      20
IC MEMO                                                                         0
ICMS                            5                       1                       6
ICOFOM                  6                       20                      26
ICOM-CC                         46                      10                      56
ICOMON                  4                                               4
ICR                             5                       6                       11
ICTOP                   1                       8                       9
INTERCOM                        2                       17                      19
MPR                             11                      12                      23
NATHIST                 2                       6                       8
UMAC                            5                       2                       7

Total Voting    =       240             /       229 = Non-voting

Had all the Dutch members registered in one or the other IC (something that
actually is the case in the Danish national committee) these IC's would have
gained not only active support of members but also a substantial extra
financial input (remembering that the annual support from ICOM to the IC's
is based on the number of Voting Members)!

It is in the interest of the IC's, and of ICOM, that the National Committees
feels an obligation to inform their members to register as a Voting Member
in one of the IC's of their choice. The members benefit from the information
and networking provided within each IC - and the IC from the extra $'s.
National Committees must ask their members to go to this ICOM website:
http://www.icom.org/form_eng.rtf
Fill in the form and send it to Paris!

Yes, it is very unfortunate that all national and international committees
have to duplicate databases and mailing lists.
We have a long way to go to achieve active participation among our members.
ICOM is much more that a membership card that gives fee access to museums.
The many benefits of being an (active) member of one of the IC's are what we
have to export. To this end we also need legal and financial means that
makes this possible.

Jørgen Wadum
ICOM Netherlands / ICOM-CC