ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:27:54 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] writes
>could we have an award for the Worst Museum decision of the year ? Highest
>percentage of curatorial staff sacked in a year, largest number of useful
>departments closed, greatest disproportion between the amount spent on
>acquisitions and the amount spent on conservation of the collection ?

For the last category, the sad truth is that it is far easier to get
money for purchases than it is for conservation. In the UK, governing
bodies, corporate sponsors, government grants, lottery funds, etc. all
fall into this trap.  I have seen museums make good use of this reality:
using the publicity associated with a shiny new purchase with lots of
$$$ attached (all raised externally to the museum's budget) to attract
volunteers, visitors and other forms of resources to the museum.

Could we therefore discount that category?  I would suggest, in its
place, awards for museum developments which have inaccessibility
designed in?

With best wishes to all,

Pat
--