ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Adrian Tribe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 16:10:04 -0400
At 12 noon using my university-based PC which has a fast network
connection to the Internet, the first page took 6 seconds to load
and the English version page a further 44 seconds.  This morning at
about 8am the first page took longer but the second page was much
quicker.  They looked nice, but I'm spoilt having such a fast
connection!

The total size of graphics on the first page is 48,971 bytes, which
is not too bad, especially considering that they represent 1,514,788
bytes once these files are uncompressed.  The second page has
compressed image files with a total of about 45,000 bytes, less than
the first.

I must assume that the main cause of the problem of slow download
times reported by others is that the pages are stored on a server
that has a slow and/or heavily congested link to an Internet backbone.
I can access pages with images much bigger than this from some other
servers with a much quicker download time, presumably because the
hosts concerned have a much more robust link to the Internet backbone.

Perhaps the pipe from ICOM's server to the Internet needs a bigger
bore?!

Best wishes,
Adrian