ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 08:15:05 +0000
On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Pat Reynolds wrote:

> Re Lynne Teather's notion that the work of ICOM should be emphasised in
> educational places: maybe there is cause and effect at work here,
> because when I was studying museum studies at the Institute of
> Archaeology in London, one afternoon was devoted to institutions at the
> national, national, regional and local level.  I seem to remember we had
> two speakers, one of which was on the board of ICOM-UK.

=========================

Pat:

Yes, of course.  Any Museum Studies (or similar) course following either
the original UNESCO/ICOM "Basic Syllabus" or the latest ICTOP "Curricula
Guidelines" should have this in their teaching programmes.

The problem raised over and over again by ICTOP is that those whose
interest is aroused are then refused membership of ICOM because ICOM
has no Student member category, unlike most other professional bodies.

(It's pretty clear that some national committees ignore this and accept
advanced museum studies students anyway - but that's not the point.)

Patrick