ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Helen Wechsler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:13:05 -0400
We know that collections without a physical space for interpretation and the
public do not make a museum.  However, we now accept that a physical space
without collections can be a museum.  Museums with fabricated exhibits that
demonstrate and interpret concepts such as many science centers and
children's museums are obvious examples.  Rather than being the exception, a
recent data collection effort of the American Association of Museums found
that up to 20% of respondents indicated that they were not collecting
institutions.  If we can think of another way of wording the definition that
remains inclusive of these institutions, that is fine.  But we must guard
against a definition that is not inclusive of these museums.

Perhaps we can delete the whole problematic "often objects" part and have it
still work:

A MUSEUM IS AN EDUCATIONAL ORGANIZATION THAT SERVES THE PUBLIC BY
INTERPRETING SCIENTIFIC, CULTURAL AND/OR NATURAL HERITAGE THROUGH THE USE OF
A PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT. MUSEUMS THAT HOLD COLLECTIONS CARE FOR THEM AS A
PUBLIC TRUST AND PRESERVE THEM FOR THE FUTURE.

Helen Wechsler