ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Manus Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:42:53 +0100
 We appreciate ICTOP's  concern for the dissemination of ICOM information of
ICOM. This reflects aptly the spirit of the Reform Task Force which met
recently and would like ICOM to be a really open organisation. In fact, the
Executive Council discussed the dissemination of information in Madrid and
ICTOP's recommendations fit very well to these discussion.

ICTOP's recommendations focus only on information on the procedures within
ICOM, but an open organisation of course means much more than that. But I
take it for granted that ICTOP would in no way disagree with that.

The Secretariat is already working to speed up the distribution of
information. An electronic mailing list for the Advisory Committee is now
functioning well.

The personnel concerned ( Joelle Thibet, Valerie Jullien) are at present
being trained to use new software and we foresee that a lot of information
on the Advisory Committee and Executive Council will be available at the end
of April.

 The Secretariat has already distributed news on the working groups of the
Executive Council and the RTF in various issues of  ICOM News.  The main
decisions/discussions of the meeting of the EC will be published in the next
issue of ICOM News. Although ICOM News is an important information tool for
ICOM it is not always the fastest. So we really should concentrate on
electronic distribution of information.

That brings me also to the point you raised about the budget.  You mention
the " approved " annual budget. Approval of the budget has been a topic of
discussion by the Task Force and it will propose, among others things  to
speed up the procedures with regard to approval (and so of course,
publication of it).

 As the Executive Council and the Secretariat are concentrating on the
establishing a better spread of information I take ICTOP's recommendations
as a strong backing of this.

With my best regards,

Manus Brinkman
Secretary General