ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
John McAvity <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:21:51 -0400
Dear ICOM debaters on WHAT IS A MUSEUM!

This is a fascinating debate, and Paul Donahue has raised some very
interesting and provocative issues on WHAT IS A MUSEUM in his posting!  He
is living up to his usual provocative self here in Canada on this matter!!!

I agree with some of his points but not all of them.  So please permit me to
share my own comments and questions with you:

Aboriginal Museums?:  A question not posed so far!
 What makes an aboriginal Museum???   This needs debate as the concept of
museum is usually not found within most aboriginal cultures and it is
especially relevant to the Americas and other regions.   In Canada, we are
looking at adding the concept of  a "keeping house" to reflect the Canadian
notion of community reserve of collections by native peoples.  This may be a
Canadian idea only, I do not know.   I would like to hear if  such a concept
works elsewhere and if ICOM should incorporate it somehow.

What constitutes a "collection"?   This is an excellent question posed by
Paul Donahue.  I would like to hear meaningful debate on this point as it is
a point I have asked our CMA committee as well.  Frankly I do not know what
constitutes a "collection"! Paul asks if one object is sufficient?  I do not
think one object makes a collection but does two + what sort of body of
knowledge is required?  Most science centres and children's museums contain
a variety of "collections" although they treat them differently than other
types of museums.  But do all of them have "sufficient collections" and
knowledge of these collections to term them as "museums"?  What is a
collection?  This has never been adequately addressed.

Research:  another qualified term, similar to the question of collections.
What does research mean?   I do not agree with Paul that small museums
without "qualified staff", (what does that mean?) may not qualify.   Most
small museums undertake research programs based on their mandate often with
local volunteers.  Volunteers can be very qualified.  I am immediately
thinking of one small specialized museum I recently visited here in Canada
which has tremendous expertise from its volunteer staff. I could give
hundreds of other examples. The issue is more one of expertise than that of
paid staff. I submit what we need to do is use a small "r"
approach to research, not to limit our definition to "R"eseach in a formal
academic way.  A commitment to research on the mandate of the museum is good
enough for me.

Virtual museums: he asks if these are museums?   I see no evidence to
convince me they are!   Virtual Museums do not exist in a real material or
object based way. That is
to say they are reproductions of real objects or images.  To me, Tthey are
essentially communication devices (and very effective ones) no different
than brochures or books, just
more elaborate and interactive (sometimes)  in my opinion.  A
book is not a museum, nor should virtual museums be the same!

Open to the public:  Paul raises some good questions here.  What if a museum
with a collection and research is not open to the public on a regular basis
but on request only.   I think it counts.   Then there is the question of
the % of collections ever really accessible!    I say yes to all counts as
long as it is open to the public some of the time, even by appointment.  If
it does not meet this minimal test, sorry it should not be recognized but I
can think of no examples of such institutions unless they are privately
owned collections masquerading as museums.

Profit vs. Non Profit:  Here Paul confuses the concepts of earning revenue
vs. generating profit for shareholders.  There is no reason non-profit
museums of any kind cannot earn funds from such commercial sources as gift
shops, admission fees, restaurants, parking fees or whatever related
activies or even non related activities (depending on the tax laws of the
country) in order to support its other non profit activities.   The USA has
strict rules on this account, but as an example Canada is far more
open.  Some of these are simply appropriate user fees.  I say hold the line
at "non profit museums run in the public interest" but let them earn all the
revenue they can as entrepreneurial institutions!   I see no conflict here
at all. After most governments have limited the subsidies they give to
museums, so museum must go out and look for new forms of revenue!

I hope these comments add to the debate.

John McAvity