ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Per Bjørn Rekdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:45:04 +0100
Dear Patrick, Pat, Chedlia, Hugh and others,

ICOM News cannot be used for debates, but important debates raised by the
Executive should be announced (on the ICOM-L and) in ICOM News so that
those not having access to ICOM-L have the option of reacting through the
elected representatives. And this should become standard procedure.

As far as I can interpret the different messages, we all agree on the
above.

Language is self-selective on ICOM-L and the problem of the total
dominance of English is not easily solved. Would separate ICOM-LEng,
ICOM-LFra and ICOM-LEsp be a part answer? It could lower the threshold for
participation for the French- and Spanish-writing ICOM-members and become
an important forum for museum debates. Yani Herreman and others have done
a magnificent job in translating some of the debate into Spanish, but this
good work is not easily followed up when there is no Spanish-language
discussion forum, like for instance an ICOM-LEsp. There are certainly
counterarguments for having three separate ICOM-Ls, but it might be worth
a try?

Hugh writes "...all hijacked but the same few as at ICOM meetings proper -
fluent English ruling out half the world who even if they have reasonable
English will not be up to a written discussion."

Now, now, Hugh, it is not that bad. First of all: Be grateful for those
taking time to hijack the ICOM-L. Join the hijackers! Second: Yes,
probably most members of ICOM do not have English, French or Spanish as
their mother tongue. They - we - should participate on the ICOM-L anyway!
We look for intentions and meaning, not correct spelling or correct choice
of words.

GOD JUL OG GODT NYTTAR!

"See" you again in 2004!

Per

(who misspelled "heat" into "heath" in his former message, I am sure
making it more interesting)