ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Per Rekdal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:33:02 +0200
Tereza Scheiner of ICOFOM wrote:

>Your idea of having a large group of people discussing one subject is ok,
>but - wouldn't a discussion site to each of these matters be enough?  Or,
>couldn't this be done through this very ICOM-L?

A discussion site to each of these matters would be very ok, but as we can
see from the discussion here on the ICOM-L, short messages are what
functions best. This will probably change in the future, when we will also
get more used to pick up long notes, articles and books from the net.

As little as an international committee can be replaced by a net site, any
topic needs face-to-face discussions from time to time.

My point is that we need FLEXIBILITY in picking up current themes. Perhaps
we could talk about theme groups that independent of any specific
international committee could function somewhat like an international
committee for a certain number of years, holding yearly conferences, etc.

The issue is related to the problem the universities are facing trying to
fit new themes into old subjects/departments.  The result - within and
outside the universities - have been in a tremendous growth of centers that
are crossing the old borders of established subjects/departments. Indeed
the subject of museology is in itself a result of the need to create
something new that could not be fitted into any one of the old subjcets.

Of course we could meet this challenge with ever new international
committees, but that may have other drawbacks again.

I think David Grattans message on CC is interesting. Perhaps we can learn
something from CC on running work groups.

Per B. Rekdal
ICME chairperson