ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
P Boylan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 21:14:21 +0100
On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 [log in to unmask] wrote:

++++ [CLIP] ++++

> I agree that achievements and good practice deserve recognition. However, I
> wonder whether exceptionally poor practice should not also be publicised so
> that it can be brought to the attention of the museum community, and the
> rest of the world.
>
> Following the creation of the IgNobel prizes for rather unusual
> accomplishments, see
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3161694.stm
> and
> http://www.improb.com/ig/ig-top.html
>
> could we have an award for the Worst Museum decision of the year ? Highest
> percentage of curatorial staff sacked in a year, largest number of useful
> departments closed, greatest disproportion between the amount spent on
> acquisitions and the amount spent on conservation of the collection ?

Helena has a point!  I remember that 20 years or so ago the UK's Museum
Professionals Group established the "Torn Label Award" for the museum that
achieved the least with the most money, but that only ran for a year or
two...

(I mentioned this - and drew the same parallel with the IG-Nobel Awards -
in the Dubrovnik Seminar that Giovanni Pinna referred to.

Patrick Boylan