ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:19:38 +0100
Dear Mr Edson

Thank you for raising this.

My immediate reaction to providing more cards to institutions would
be NO.  However, the facts as presented are against me.  We do
need to ensure that more people appreciate the benefits of
membership, and this appears to be a way of making them aware of
the existence of ICOM.

If this goes forward, could you ask that the membership office sends
out fliers with the cards encouraging museums to prompt individuals
to take up membership.  A number of organisations have been using
the backs of such cards as advertising space.  Would it be worth
the extra expense?

On the other side, my individual membership of ICOM prompted me
to ensure that my institution re-started its lapsed membership.
Again, a flier demonstrating the business advantages of institutional
membership would be valuable in making the case for yet another
expense (which is not only the subscription but also the
management time).

Velson Horie BSc FMA FIIC ACR MAPM
Keeper of Conservation
The Manchester Museum
The University
Manchester
M13 9PL
UK
tel. +44 161 275 2656, fax +44 161 275 2674
Website: www.manchester.ac.uk/museum