ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Per Rekdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:30:52 +0200
Lois Irvine wrote:

>I am in favour of expanding the possibilities for voting members and the use
>of the internet but not to charge only those who do not have e-mail.
  My concern with the
>mailing charge is that, once again, we favour those who have the resources
>and charge more to those that don't.

I am not so sure the division between those with and without access to
e-mail reflects a divison between those with the resources and those
without. In the ICME mailing list over those (supposedly) without e-mail we
find a lot of members in Western European countries, many from large
institutions, while on the other hand a high percentage of our members from
Africa, Asia, etc. do have e-mail adresses. In fact, e-mail is now used as
the cheapest way of communication in several really poor museums I know in
Africa. It is far cheaper than ordinary mail and far easier to get through
than a fax connection which is dependent on unbroken lines with a
relatively long duration, making sending even a short fax into quite a
project.

Per B. Rekdal