ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cary Karp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cary Karp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 11:43:32 +0100
Quoting Per Rekdal:

> The real challenge for ICOM now is to make members who do
> have an e-mail address to report it to the ICOM Secretariat,
> AND make the ICOM Secretariat start using the advantages of
> electronic mail more fully.

Instead of using ICOM-L to register a plea for the Secretariat to
register a plea to the membership to report their e-mail
addresses to the Secretariat so that the Secretariat can try to
figure out how to use the info to better advantage, why not
simplify things?

If every ICOM member with an e-mail address were to join ICOM-L,
the Grand Elusive Purpose of being able to address the entire
(connected) membership electronically will have been realized.
Once that's been done, everything can easily enough be nudged
into place. Neither this, nor any alternative scheme, can be
realized without individual ICOM members assuming full
responsibility for their own participancy.

I regard myself to be in at least as good a position as anyone
else to catalog the things that are keeping ICOM from finding its
way into the "information society". Without in any way wishing to
appear as the Secretariat's defender or apologist, it strikes me
as less than purposeful to place such continual emphasis on their
role in solving the problems. It is entirely within the power of
the on-line segment of the ICOM membership to harness the Net
directly for whatever purpose it wishes. Letting the opportunity
to set our own good example pass by unused is nobody's fault but
our own.

Cary Karp