ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:46:00 +0000
On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Per Rekdal wrote:

++++++ [CLIP] +++++

> Just an idea: What about combining ICOM News with Museum News? The combined
> periodical would contain real articles making it worth looking into several
> times, it would increase the number of real readers, it would more strongly
> than the newsletter ICOM News serve as information about ICOM, and it would
> be even more attractive to advertisers. It would of course increase costs
> for printing and distribution, but how much more than the distribution of
> ICOM News now? Well, it was just a thought.

=======================

Per:

Do you really mean "Museum News" (the 2-monthly magazine of the American
Association of Museums) or UNESCO's "Museum International".

If "Museum", then that was tried for two or three years when as a
promotion UNESCO offered it almost free of charge.   Though it seemed a
good idea, it didn't work in practice because of the very long publication
schedule for "Museum". The ICOM News section was usually ICOM Ancient
History by the time it reached members.

If anything the situation would be even worse nowadays because at least
tow of the editions of Museum International are not published by UNESCO
itself.  The last time I wrote something for it (and therefore received
author's copies of all four editions)  there was a gap of well over a year
between the publication of the first of these (English), and the last
(Russian), with the French and Spanish editions arriving roughly three
months and five months after the English edition.

Patrick