ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gary Edson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:30:41 -0500
Colleagues:

There has been an amount of discussion about the following definition:

"Museums are permanent institutions that conserve and communicate knowledge
of the natural world and the cultural inheritance of humanity through
collections, records, memories, images, and sites they care for, research
and interpret, in public trust, for present and future generations."

Some have suggested an expanded version and other have recommended deletion
of words. The discussion appears to be following a  very traditional
approach to the concept of a museum. Is this a direction ICOM should be
going or is it time to take a more farsighted view of museum and museum
activities?

Regarding the above definition are we creating a situation that will
eventually result  in a further listing of variables by identifying
"collections, records, memories, images, and sites"? Are all those aspects
of a museum (except possibly sites) not collections?

A recently suggested definition that take an approach that may be considered
follows:

"A museum is an institution that serves the public interest through
education, collaboration, communication, or research about social, cultural,
or scientific issues expressed as objects, specimens, or activities."

As a word of information: Much of our discussion has been in English, and
this is an issue about which I have concern. I will provide French and
Spanish translations of parts of this discussion as I can. However, one
drawback with the an e-mail is lack of time to allow translations between
exchanges. To our French and Spanish speaking colleagues I apologize for
this situation and thank you for your understanding.

Gary Edson