ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Milton Bloch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:55:29 -0400
About a young professionals group--

It seems to me that the various committees of ICOM should have a purpose related to their respective aspects of the museum profession.  For example, members of  ICMAH have in common a focus on archaeology and history while those in ICEE are concerned with the common problems and opportunities of exhibition exchange.  My question is: what is it about being in a certain age group that has anything to do with our profession?  To me, age is a factor that is simply immaterial.  I can imagine this idea extended to include a seniors group.  Would they not be equally entitled to a separate designation?   And then how about special committees or groups for mid-career professionals,  obese members, vegetarians, women, men, gays and lesbians, Lutherans?   My point is that such  groupings have everything to do with social values and promotional schemes and little to do with the museum profession.  In my opinion it is a swamp full of quicksand and alligators and we should think long and hard before wading into it.
Milton Bloch