ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
MA Philippopoulou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:04:42 +0300
The discussion about International Committees is interesting and useful.
It seems that the issues involved can be grouped in:

1. IC legal status. If we want ICs to be legal entities, then we
certainly need professional advice. In case ICs will be legal entities,
they will have lots of legal and fiscal obligations towards the
authorities of the “adoptive” country. Which will this be? France, the
seat of ICOM, or the Chairperson’s country? If it is France, then the IC
Board will have obligations towards a country’s administration they are
not familiar with (unless they are French). If it’s another country,
will the seat of IC change every three years? My opinion is that legal
status is not just an issue of decision. Under the present
circumstances, I doubt if it’s feasible, for practical reason. And in
case the ICs don’t have an autonomous legal status, how can they “merge”
with the AOS, which do have legal status?
2. Creation of new ICs. It’s democratic to have always the possibility
to create a new IC, according to the needs of the membership, but we
have to establish the eligibility criteria and the procedure of
approval. The proposal of the Task Force is reasonable.
3. Evaluation of ICs. Yes, but the consequences must also be agreed for
minor of for major lapses and they must be gradual.

Ersi Philippopoulou
Ex-chair of ICAMT