ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 07:52:29 +1300
Patrick wrote:

"(You are wrong about the Executive Council.  Officers and members of the
EC also have pay all their own travelling etc. and administrative  expenses.
The only "perk" is the tradition (not right) that the host  country (but not
ICOM) pays their expenses in attending the Triennial  General Conference.)"

My initial comment was certainly not meant to be interpreted as a personal
indictment of any individual and I would be amongst the first to acknowledge
the dedication and passion of most Council members ( especially Patrick ).

I must add however, that the 'perception' of Council receiving significantly
more support than most to attend world meetings enmasse, is a widely held
belief. Perhaps this yet again reinforces a lack of communication and
knowledge sharing, which most of us would espouse to.

"only members with either personal wealth or financial support from their
own government or institution can run for office within ICOM at ANY level.
ICTOP considered that this has profound implications in relation to
democracy within the organisation."

I couldn't agree more Patrick and I am DELIGHTED that these issues are being
debated with openess and frankness.  Hopefully these resolutions will result
in action in the very near future to allow for greater equity in the
organisation.

Best wishes
Roger
http://www.globalmuseum.org