ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
"C. BONOMI" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:51:46 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]

Dear Lois, Family and Friends,

I am deeply disturbed by the news of Emmanuel Arinze's passing away. I do
not actually know what to say, as for me he is or was one of the giants of
African heritage. But he was also larger than Africa; he cared for the
heritage of humanity and showed this through his involvement in nearly all
the international heritage institutions.

To me I have lost a friend and a father figure in heritage. We in Africa
will deeply miss him. His love for the continent and its people, his
courageous championing of Africa's cultural heritage and his uncompromising
defence of the integrity of the African person, were unmarched. One always
felt confident and protected in his presence.

Through Emmanuel's efforts, the voices of the children of the world came to
be heard in museums.

I have lost a friend that I will miss deeply. May his soul rest in peace and
his name remain forever in the cultural map of Africa and the world.

George Abungu