ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Outi Peisa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 19:07:32 +0200
:
>to Jean-Marc Blais
I am presently working on a project related to the concept of time.  My
>interest is not to study how humans have developed mechanisms to regulate their
>activities (like calendars, clocks, etc) but rather on how we perceive time in
>our lives.
>
>As we all know, the change of millenium is a perfect occasion for us to reflect
>on the concept of time.
>
>I am interested in knowing if other museums have worked concretly with such an
>abstract concept.

We, in Helsinki City Museum, have oppened 1996 an exhibition called "TIME". It
is not focusing to the clocks etc. but to the city history trough the concept of
time. For ex. in Finnish the two most common nouns are "time" and "year" and in
English "man" and "time". If you want to hear more about the exhibition, please
let me know. We do have an exhibition catalogue and a video about "TIME"(in
English). You can also find a critic "Time and again" written by Hildi Hawkins
in the journal "things 5 / winter 1996-7".

I would also be interested to know if any of you are planning