ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:35:09 +0100
I agree that achievements and good practice deserve recognition. However, I
wonder whether exceptionally poor practice should not also be publicised so
that it can be brought to the attention of the museum community, and the
rest of the world.

Following the creation of the IgNobel prizes for rather unusual
accomplishments, see
and
http://www.improb.com/ig/ig-top.html

could we have an award for the Worst Museum decision of the year ? Highest
percentage of curatorial staff sacked in a year, largest number of useful
departments closed, greatest disproportion between the amount spent on
acquisitions and the amount spent on conservation of the collection ?

Best wishes
Helena Jaeschke
Archaeological conservator