ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eva Fägerborg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2014 19:53:37 +0100
Welcome To COMCOL Annual Conference 2014, 3-6 December, in Celje, Slovenia

Theme:

* COLLECTING AND COLLECTIONS IN TIMES OF WAR OR POLITICAL AND SOCIAL CHANGE
*

COMCOL (International Committee for Collecting) invites papers from museum
professionals, researchers and and students that address the impact of
changing ideological perspectives on the formation and development of
collections, including, but not limited to, the following topics:

- The triangular relationship between political & social ideology, museum
mission and collection profile.
- The adaptation of museum missions to ideologies and adaptation of
collection profiles to new missions.
- Using collections to memorialize WW I.

Abstracts for presentation:
Presentations should be 20 minutes in length. Please send a 200-300 words
abstract, a short biographical note and contact details to:
[log in to unmask] by March 15, 2014. The proposals will be reviewed by a
working group. Successful proposals will be acknowledged by May 1, 2014.

The aim of COMCOL is to discuss the theory, practice and ethics of
collection development. One of the issues is the social context of
collection development, in particular the impact of prevailing ideologies.
The 2014 annual conference is the last of a series of three conferences in
which COMCOL explores this issue from different perspectives.  In 2012 (Cape
Town) we discussed how the concept of utopia influenced (and influences) the
forming of collections. In 2013 (Rio de Janeiro) we discussed the
re-interpretation of older collections, focusing on exhibitions as medium
for re-interpretation. In 2014 we would like to explore the triangular
relationship between ideology, institutional mission and collection profile.
In particular we would like to explore how museum missions are influenced by
changes in political ideologies and regimes, and to what extent collection
profiles are adapted to the new missions.

During the conference we would like to focus on theoretical views and
different recent and contemporary examples. Since in recent decades
significant regime changes took/are taking place in different parts of the
world, we would like to ask participants to look at the impact of changing
ideological perspectives on the formation and development of collections.
Furthermore, the conference takes place in the year in which the start of
World War I is commemorated - a war that had a huge impact on political
developments in Central Europe and in other parts of the world. How did
museum collections respond to the aftermath of the turmoil of war, and how
are they being used in todayıs commemorations?

Conference partners:
National Committee of ICOM Slovenia
Museum of Recent History Celje ­ department School of museology Celje

Conference information:
More details on the conference will soon be available on COMCOL website
http://network.icom.museum/comcol/