ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Per Rekdal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:25:02 +0200
Cary Karp wrote:

>Without in any way wishing to brake the current discussion of
>ICOM's structure, the value of your contributions might be
>enhanced if the organizational insiders among you were to keep in
>mind that the majority of this list's readers are not members of
>ICOM. If your intention is to provide public information about
>any aspect of ICOM (whether good, bad, or ugly) it should not be
>assumed that the folks here know very much (or perhaps even care
>very much) about the intricacies of ICOM's corporate detail.
>
>If your intent is to thrash out change without any frills in the
>way your arguments are framed, if you are a member of ICOM's
>Executive Council or Advisory Committee, it might be more
>purposeful to address your remarks to the distribution lists
>operated for them

You are right, Cary: the insiders should keep in mind that not everyone
understands the internal intricacies. And I assume your "thrash out change
without any frills" is standard English understood by everyone who had
English at school as second language, whether he be Chinese or Brasilian or
Swedish.

BUT: limiting the discussion to the members of the Advisory and Executive
is much too restricted. I am sure there are board members in national as
well as international committees on the ICOM-L, and they - as indeed any
member of ICOM - are entitled to participate.

I don't think open critical discussions about ICOM's practices and plans
are harmful. On the contrary.

Per B. Rekdal
Museumsleder/Museum Director
Universitetets etnografiske museum