ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joris Komen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joris Komen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 08:38:00 +0200
Dear ICOM-L(isters),

As one of a considered number of African museum collaborators in
the AFRICOM Handbook of Standards project, I was stunned into
complete silence (this is a rare phenomenon:-)) for some minutes
while trying to browse the newly finished Handbook of Standards
pages hosted at

http://www.icom.org/afridoc/

as an ICOM internet resource.

I was flabbergasted; with complete abandon (of ICOM page
conformity), this entry page comes up as a graphic disaster
zone...no text whatsoever, and a loooong wait for a visual rehash
of the handbook's front cover (I'm browsing from a 57k modem
connection to swipnet.se in Stockholm, so I don't have bandwidth
problems for a change:-)).  Finding my way around the first
english page (99% graphics), I then land up in a horrendous frame
environment, with broken links and more slow graphics.

These pages suck!

What I found really disturbing is the fact that I'm listed as an
author of this Handbook!!  Yesterday was the *first* time I
received news of this disasterous set of pages, and I am somewhat
more than a tad annoyed that there was absolutely zero
consultative process with the *authors* of the Handbook - is this
becoming a pervasive phenomenon at the ICOM secretariat in
Paris??

Hugely disappointed!

Joris Komen

National Museum of Namibia