ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 07:44:57 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]
rg>, Jullien, V. <[log in to unmask]> writes
>>ICOM Economy: can money be earned through advertisements in ICOM News?
>Why did we not continue ?
>1 -  Legal and administrative Statuts of ICOM : ICOM is under the french law
>as an "Association loi 1901, à but non lucratif", this means that we are
>only allowed to make a very small amout of  income on commercial activities,
>without paying taxes on these incomes (approx. 70 000 FF/ year = +/- 11 600
>us$)
There are other ways around this.  The exact way around depends on the
laws of the country, but it usually operates like this: the organization
which is not allowed to trade owns an organization which is allowed to
trade.  This trading organization has a constitution which means that
all profits are donated to the non-trading organization.  An example of
such an arrangement which may be known to colleagues in France is the
National Trust which cannot, under British charity law trade, but has a
successful chain of shops in their properties and at other sites.
National Trust Trading (I think that's its name) uses the National
Trusts' logo, and donates all profits to the National Trust.
It think UNESCO (also France based) must do something similar, since it
sells Christmas Cards.

With best wishes,
--
Pat Reynolds