ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:44:04 -0400
Dear Colleague,

Following discussions with colleagues I have received a few responses to
the code of ethics. Let me begin by saying that it continues to be a well
written and clear document. There are two possible changes that might be
considered:

1.11  Personnel

Internationally, a great deal has been written on social inclusion over few
years. It has found its way into policy and standard practice documents.
Perhaps the Code of Ethics should include an explicit statement which
supports social inclusion in its hiring practices.

2.5 Collection - Acquisition by Members ...

This should be extended to include staff donations regardless of
tax-benefit.  Few people will ever have the honour of having their personal
cultural property accepted by a museum, therefore, staff should not take
advantage of their positions in this regard. At the Canada Science and
Technology Museum Corporation any donation by staff is supposed to come
before the Acquisitions Committee (this represents special care ..).

Regards,

President, CIMUSET

 Dr. Paul F. Donahue
 Executive Director, Museum Services