ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chair ICOM Europe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 13:00:36 +0100
ReflectingEurope in its Museum Objects
Call forcontributions

ICOMEurope, the European regional alliance of the International Council of Museums,and the Museum of Europe in Brussels have joined to edit a publication thatreflects Europe in selected museum objects. We would like to encourage curatorsin Europe to choose objects, paintings or photographs that they considerrelevant for the comprehension of Europe’s diversity, its transnationalrelationships, its common experiences and future perspectives. With thisinclusive format of participation we intend to trigger a debate on therepresentation of Europe in its museum objects, because
- they reflect hopes and anxieties ofevery specific historical situation,
- they show the panorama of humancreativity despite war and persecution,
- they are witness of the finestexamples of human expression, craftsmanship and inventory spirit.

With thisopen call for contributions we address all museums in Europe to participate inour joint endeavour. We encourage all National Committees of ICOM and otherprofessional museums networks in Europe to disseminate this call and toinitiate a debate about the process of selecting relevant objects.

Informationabout the publication

Thepublication will be the second edition of ICOM Europe's ‘Views and Activities’(see PDF of Vol. 1 on ICOM Europe website www.icom-europe.org).
Format: 14x 14 cm, booklet illustrated with coloured pictures
Language:English
Number ofpages: 72
Printedcopies: 5000
Dissemination:free of charge, except for postal fee.
Thepublication will first be distributed at the General Conference of ICOM inShanghai, China (Nov. 7 to Nov. 12, 2010) and it can then be ordered by museumsand professional organisations.

How toparticipate

Yourcontribution will consist of a royalty free reproduction of the object in formof a professional photograph (300 dpi) and an explanatory text referring to theobject, its relevance and meaning in the context of the above mentionedaspects. Please make sure that the museum direction approves your choice andtext, because the selection will refer to and mention the museum as well.
We kindlyask you to send your contribution form, which you can download from the ICOMEurope website (www.icom-europe.org) filled out in English to:[log in to unmask] no later than March 19, 2010. The result of theselection will be communicated on April 15, 2010.

Selectioncommittee

The finalselection of the objects to be included in the publication will be made by ajoint committee of members of the Board of ICOM Europe and the Museum of Europeincluding:
Prof.Krzysztof Pomian, Scientific Director of the Museum of Europe
BenoîtRemiche, General Secretary of the Museum of Europe
Dr.Isabelle Benoit, Director for International Development, Museum of Europe, andBoard Member of ICOM Europe
Dr. UdoGoesswald, Director of Neukoelln Museum, Berlin, and Chair of ICOM Europe
Dr. DamodarFrlan, Director of the Ethnographical Museum of Croatia and Board Member ofICOM Europe

Prize forthe best contribution

The bestcontribution will receive a travel grant given by ICOM Europe for the ICOMEurope Tour 2010 in China, which will be organised as a pre-conference tour ofthe  General Conference of ICOM inShanghai at the beginning of November 2010.
(see:www.icom-europe.org).

Udo Goesswald, Chair ICOM Europe
Krzy