ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Giovanni Pinna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:07:32 +0200
Dear Martin
I send you some remarks on the document of the International Committees
Task Force circulated on the 9th April 2003.
I must state beforehand an inquiry of general interest: given that only
about 900 ICOM members have subscribed ICOM-L, I would like to know if the
document has been circulated also via ordinary mail/post. If not, I would
draw your attention on the fact that only a small part of ICOM members
would be able to consider the document and send their remarks.

Creation
I believe that the minimum number of 50 members and 10 different countries
to request a new committee is too high. From experience we have learnt that
the creation of a new international committee is often promoted by a small
number of members and that the committee will grow in the following years.
This is what has happened, for example, for DEMHIST.
Before setting such high numbers, I would suggest to start analysing how
the different international committees were born and how they have then
developed. Has this kind of analysis ever been done yet?
Setting so many members and diffrent countries appears to disagree with
what is claimed in the ICTF document itself: in fact the document claims to
accept “a plurality of working models” as “there are very big and extremely
small Committees!” That very small committees can exist is taken for granted.
On the other hand, ICOM Statutes always offer the chance to refuse the
creation of new international committee.

Fiscal accountability and Legal Autonomy
I believe that the Fiscal accountability and the Legal Autonomy will lead
up to consider International Committees as separate bodies from ICOM, and
to weaken ICOM itself.
This is contrary to the same ICTF document which opens claiming that “The
International Committees constitute the principal instruments for the work
of ICOM and for the realisation of its programmes of activity”
Moreover the document does not make clear the nature and the ways through
which the Fiscal accountability and the Legal Autonomy can be enacted.
The  Special bank account in the name of the IC is not possible. In many
countries the creation of a bank account in the name of an organization (as
an International Committee is) requires the availability, on the side of
the organization (and in this case the International Committee), of a
foundation act and of statutes legally registered and, moreover, of a legal
location in the country where the bank account is be opened. ICOM Statutes
cannot thus be used to this purpose.
This means that, each time that a new Chairman is elected, the committee
would need to be re-founded in the country where the Chairman is resident.
Another solution will be to establish for every International Committee a
permanent location always in the same country. But this appears to be in
contrast with the international spirit which have always qualified ICOM.
This is however an articulated problem which should take into consideration
the rules of  every single different country in order to evaluate if this
can be enacted or not. The Legal Committee, (which untill now has never met
in plenary session) should be in charge to deal with this problem.

Framework Agreement between ICOM and ICs
I disagree with the creation of a  Framework Agreement as this would mean
that the International Committees constitute different bodies separated
from ICOM and are not complementary part of ICOM.
All that the ICTF document suggests to include in the Framework Agreement
(point B), can be included in ICOM Statutes, when concerning the
International Committee.

New standing committee of the Executive Council on International Committees
I consider it useless to create a New standing committee aiming to side the
existing ones (Ethics Finance and Legal). I can remark that, except for the
Ethics Committee, the other two committees have not given many positive
results.
Please also consider that to increase the number of the standing Committees
has three major disadvantages:
1-it will make ICOM organization even more complex,
2-it will increase the Secretariat work, raising also the organization
management costs which at the moment ICOM cannot really afford because of
the renting expenses for some of its offices,
3-it lessens the Executive Council of some of its prerogatives. And
especially, all the work required from a new standing committee on the
International Committees can be easily managed by the Executive Council. To
this purpose, we should also consider that members will relevantly increase
from the next Executive Council and that this will allow to do much more
work than in the past.

Giovanni Pinna
Member of the Executive Council