ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Edward Able <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 02:40:34 -0500
I am moved by Per's thoughts to voice my own perspective on the issue of
reform of ICOM.

From the postings I have read, it appears to me that comments
tend to deal with the symptoms of problems or issues rather than
the root causes.  I believe it would be most helpful to the
process to try to rise about suggestions on specific programs,
procedures or organizational structure to a higher "issue" level.
I now provide an example this level of problem/issue:

ICOM has insuffient financial strategies or current funding base
to adquately fund the neccessary level of program to serve the
world museum community.

ICOM's governance structure does not allow for effective and
inclusive discussion of organizational issues and policy matters.

It seems to me that once there is general agreement on the major
root issues/problems, then a concerted effort could be made to
pose possible solutions to the issue/problem and a thoughtful
evaluation of each of those solutions.

I hope all will forgive me for being such a "linear" thinker, but
at AAM we have had considerable experience in this area and I
have observed that there does need to be a step by step process
that allows for and organized and logical sequence or steps in
addressing the larger picture of organizational challenges.  At
the same time, if one jumps too quickly to solutions at
structural or programatic level, one is likely to misidentify the
root problem or fail to get broad consensus on what that root
problem really is/. I hope my comments are helpful to Bernice,
her task force and the general discussion of the topic

ED ABLE, President and CEO, American Association of Museums
and Executive Secretary, AAM/ICOM