ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 21:16:48 +0200
I have read the comments on this site and experienced few
difficulties in accession or navigation. Before the site gets
dismissed out of hand and the criticism moves from content to
style (and wider )  I would like to respectfully tender the
following observations:

o The use of italics for entries has lots of pitfalls in the
compilation and reading phases. Keep it simple. Typographic
standards should be specified.

o Internet graphic disasters can be remedied as an ongoing
process based on evaluation.  Utility not fad should be the main
criteria and always allow for evaluation.

o The numbers on the standards list of categories should be
carried over to the entries. If this is done then it is easy to
see where one has been missed by the break in consecutive
numbers. Otherwise there seems to be little reason for numbering
them.

The methodology generally seems to be sound. The standards seem
to be geared towards use and as such could eventually prove
useful for UK collections of African artefacts. This could lead
to much broader and revised interpretation of African cultural
heritage as this type of access to African collections widens.  I
hope the standards are taken up by African museums and the rest
of the world.