ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:45:06 -0000
> For my understanding, are we continuing to view museums as in outward
> projecting institutions that deal with traditional approaches
> to objects, or
> should the definition give emphasis to enhancing the multicultural and
> social diversity role of museums? Does the idea of "public benefit"
> adequately describe this role, or is "public benefit" just a
> politically or
> socially correct expression that is open to interpretation
> and may require a
> second definition?

Surely the reverse is true? "Public benefit" is a generalisation that surely
cannot go out of fashion? It is "Multiculturalism" and "social inclusion"
that are the current politically-correct buzzwords. The "public" are the
public irrespective of social or cultural status.

Mick

Michael P. Cooper
Nottingham Museums Registrar
T: +44 (0)115 915 3671