ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stephen Done <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 09:37:16 -0000
Dear Mr  Nitulescu,

Your comments are very interesting and pertinent. I am firstly impressed to
hear about the award that the ICOM RNC has created, and i think it is a
splendid idea, and one that I can imagine will focus the minds of ICOM
members/Musuems etc within Romania, towards pushing themselves to create
better and better exhibitions. $300 USD is not a fortune, but is still a
very nice reward and it must be said perhaps more useful than a small
trophy, and more motivating.

Ypou ar ehowever correct to say that whilst inprinciple the idea of an
ICOM-wide award sounds great at first glance..how would it actually work?
what would the criteria be? and most importantly who is going to judge this
and how? The European Museum of thge Year AWared is an excelent and
professionally run competiton, and I know involves a huge amount of energy,
efort and committent  by the judges to see all entrants...how would his wor
if the panel of judges (and how do we select them? ) had to g to say-
Canada, Japan, South Africa, Germany, Brazi and Romania in the same judging
period?? Who woud fnd this? we could see ICOM spending a small fortune -
well over the sum of the prize money, in facilitating this.
The issue of comparability is also a good one: it will indeed take a strong
team of judges and very clear guidelines to decide that the Louvre is
somehow 'inferior' to a tiny museum in Africa!

a great idea..YES. But can it realisticaly work?

Best wishes

Stephen Done
Curator
Liverpool Football Club Museum & Tour Centre
LFC
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 OTH

0151 2640160
077363 82797

LIVERPOOL - CAPITAL OF CULTURE 2008

PS: I woudl be really interestedin hearing more about your award, past
winners etc. I am a frequent visitor to Romania and would be very
interested. The Musuem of the Romanian Peasant is an all time favourite
museum...