ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Steven de Clercq <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:02:27 +0100
Dear colleagues,

Allow me a personal comment: it has been fascinating to follow this
discussion on the definition of museums and I think we should be very
grateful to ICOM and in particular to Gary Edson, Geoffry Lewis and Bernice
Murphy for allowing, in fact inviting us to participate!

I agree with all who promote a short, clear and inviting definition, a
definition that is not 'protective', let alone 'all-inclusive', but
acknowledges the dynamic and above all diverse nature of our field.

Analysing the discussion so far, and all the points brought forward, I see 4
points emerging which seem to me to be the cornerstones of museums:
- institution
- collection
- research
- presentation

The shortest definition would then be:
"Museums are institutions that keep collections for research and
presentation"

I am fully aware of the great diversity of museums and all the possible
exceptions (private museums; museums without collections; museums that do
not perform research and even museums without a 'general' public). In
drafting our definition, we should not look at the exceptions, but at those
elements we feel that are essential for the profession in a whole.
Besides, Bernice has shown how elegantly in just a couple of lines we can
clarify what we mean with each of these 4 basic points.

Sincerely,

Steven W.G. de Clercq

Utrecht University, senior consultant Academic Heritage
Vice-Chair of UMAC, ICOM's International Committee for University Museums
& Collections
website: <http://www.icom.museum/umac>
Straatweg 17,  3603 CV MAARSSEN,  the Netherlands
Tel:  OO31-(0)346-567.573;  Fax:  0031-(0)346-578.843
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]