ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Milton Bloch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:29:03 -0400
Dear John, et al:
This is off point a bit, but...

I believe that the lack of parallelism in the ICs clouds our thinking somewhat.  I see the 28 ICs falling into four categories, something like this: Ten International Committees deal with generic concerns of interest to all museums, including security, education, conservation, management, etc.  Seven deal with broad fields of art or science of interest to some, but not all, museums.  They include modern art, natural history, archeology, ethnography, etc.  Five deal with specialized collections of interest to far fewer museums such as glass, costumes, Egyptology and musical instruments.  Finally, there are six that share common concerns within certain types of museums such as library museums, regional museums, etc.

With ill-advised disregard for sacred cows, I am personally uncomfortable with the latter two categories.  To me the area of special collections is far too narrow and could be handled through alternative channels other than ICs. It is also infinitely expandable.  Can we look forward to future committees for ornithology, philately, gemstones, arrowheads, and costume jewelry?  And will we see the day when children's museums, company museums, clock museums, nature centers and arboreta join the list of library museums and regional museums?

 If someone joins the local civic organization only to use the pool on weekends, we should not be surprised if he/she shows no interest or involvement whatever in the goals or activities of the club itself.

Proliferating the ICs into smaller and smaller splinters dilutes the larger promis and significance of ICOM while at the same time creating the illusion of serving its members in a more tailored, individual manner.  I think it may be time to address this matter with the hope of getting back onto dry land.

Milton Bloch

>>> John McAvity <[log in to unmask]> 04/11/02 08:26PM >>>
Dear Milton et al:

Your questions are not hypothetical at all.   And I suspect you know this
only too well!!!!  Your questions pose very serious issues.

However, your questions underscore that the
 world is no longer a simple and naive place, but that there are legal
implications to all of our actions.   We might not like to imagine these,
but we must be aware of them and govern ourselves accordingly.

 I cannot see how ICOM is immune from the actions of groups that act in its
name or under its umbrella but I am no expert in France's civil code.
However, the ICs are entities of ICOM, as are most NCs.  As dark as these
threats may seem, ICOM needs to take a serious look at the potential
downside to any legal actions that could be taken against it or its
committees, no matter how much good faith is involved.

Are board members of ICOM,  let alone its committees covered by any
Directors and Officers Liability Insurance?   How does this work at an
international level?   I do not know as there will be many jurisdictions
involved but the questions are still valid for consideration.

In my country, Canada, we cover our association's directors by purchasing
Directors & Officers  liability insurance, as well as coverage for accidents
involving volunteers and delegates at conferences and meetings..   For
example, we always worry about a bus accident!!!! And we never want to
receive a law suit.

These are serious considerations that ICOM must take into account.  Criminal
actions in the case of thefts are another matter but complicated by
international jurisdisctions.

ICOM should get proper legal advice on these sort of matters, and as the
saying goes "govern itself accordingly."

John McAvity
Exective Director
Canadian Museums Association
www.museums.ca