ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rob Pilgrim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:17:31 +1030
Hi All,

I've been watching the development of this conversation about the role and
place of the museum with interest, some great ideas coming forward - if
perhaps a little conservative.

 >"A museum is an institution that serves the public interest

However, I find this concept of ' The Public Interest' particularly
problematic. Who would define this? We know from recent events in Australia
- and I am sure this is true elsewhere - that governments sometimes have
very different views of what is ' in the public interest' to many members
of the public. Incorporating a specific mention of this concept would, I
believe, be counterproductive.

It also seems to me that the desire to include, essentially to list, all of
those things that a museum 'should' do and be is, in itself, limiting.
Steven de Clercq's "Museums are institutions that keep collections for
research and presentation" - whilst it may have been merely an aside - is
simple and precise - yet broad-ranging.

Rob Pilgrim,

--
Senior Curator,