ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Patrick Boylan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 22:00:45 +0100
On Sep 1 2005, Mario Bucolo wrote:

++++++ [CLIP] ++++++

> There is any real need to don't choose to be a member of one, two or
> more committees (I don't remember if there is a limit)? Any member can
> decide if they want to have decision power (vote) in the committee he/she
> thing is the more near to their work.

+++++ MARIO:

As I have said previously there IS a limit: you can be a full member (i.e.
voting, running for election as an Officer or as a member of the Board) in
only ONE International Committee. Everyone who was a member of any new
"Younger Professionals" International Committee would not be able to serve
as a full member of any of the existing committees - as several others have
already pointed out. That could be very damaging for the future of the
existing ICs.

I'm not against special ICOM programmes and activities for younger (or
other new) members: special sessions for these have been held at each
General Conference for a decade or more. However, the first line of attack
must surely be the National Committees .These need to be strongly
encouraged to be actively recruiting young people just as soon as possible
after they join the museum profession. Unfprtunately there are still too
many countries in which ICOM membership is regarded as some sort of high
honour or private club for the most senior staff, especially museum
directors.

Patrick Boylan