ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Peter Okwaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 11:12:08 +0300
Dear Colleagues,

The idea of establishing a regional grouping affiliated to ICOM (now called
ICOM regional alliances) is good in principle.It helps to propagate more
effectively and efficiently the strategies and objectives of ICOM and to
enable ICOM have a wider reach.

I want to observe however that the mandates of regional alliances are
similar, that is, they are established to basically work towards a common
goal-being extensions of ICOM in different parts of the world. It is
therefore important that we do not duplicate efforts by having groups that
basically have the same people, doing the same things. That will be a waste
resources.

I think that before we establish any such new alliances, we must undertake a
thourough investigation of who is not represented in the existing groups and
in what way?; what value would the establishment of new groups add to ICOM
work and results?; how would the new group network with existing groups to
enhance the work of ICOM around the world? e.t.c.

Only after such thorough investigation shall we justify the creation of a
new ICOM Regional alliance and only then will it be of value to world
heritage.

I concur with some contributors that the larger an alliance is (meaning
covering a wider geographical area), the less effective it shall
become-problems of communication, representation, organization, e.t.c. I
have heard arguements that ICOM Europe, for example, is too large to
effectively serve its members. I also think that from many of the
contributions, there are arguements that there are countries within the
Mediteranian region already under ICOM Europe. Well, we must engage each
other in a sober way. If any alliance is not effective due to its size,
there is need for constructive dialogue on possibilities of splitting such
an alliance to create relatively smaller units to enhance efficiency and
effectiveness. This will also enable the integration of those areas not yet
under any group.

The people of the Mediterranean region need to talk among themselves,
indentify the boundaries thay consider to represent the region, see which
among them are not represented at all and which are already in other
alliances, agree that they would like to form their own alliance - meaning
that those areas already in other alliances are willing to withdraw and join
the new one, then approach ICOM for authority to form this new alliance.
What we want to avoid, in my view is duplication.

Peter Dennis Okwaro
ICOM-Kenya national Committee.