ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bernice Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:37:58 +1000
I have one more element to add to the definition I proposed last week.

Reviewing the conversation about the important elements in our
re-definition of museums, I appreciate that 'research' is such an important
value in the life of museums (and requires continued defence and
resources), that we would do well to make sure it is not lost from public
consciousness - including all the ethical considerations attaching to
standards of scientific research internationally.

I would be pleased to include it in the suggestion I made earlier, adding
to Gary Edson's current list of options.  I am still arguing for a
simple-sentence, readable definition for general public understanding, but
one that also has intellectual integrity for the diversity of the museum
profession today.  I would therefore include 'research' towards the end of
the statement I propose - NOT near the beginning, as in the various older
ICOM definitions (where 'research' seemed straight away to present museums
as focused primarily on the activities of the researchers, rather than the
public as beneficiaries and social participants in the conservation of
cultural and natural heritage).

The addition of 'research' would therefore make my suggestion read:

"Museums are permanent institutions that conserve and communicate knowledge
of the natural world and the cultural inheritance of humanity through
collections, records, memories, images, and sites they care for, research
and interpret, in public trust, for present and future generations."

Bernice Murphy