ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
John McAvity <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:02:09 -0400
Absolutely not.   Museums as non profits can make money.  It is best to
refer to these as surpluses, rather than profits.    It is just that the
trustees and officers cannot benefit (i.e. profit) as in the case of a for
profit entity.  This is why museums have shops, and many other earned
revenue functions!   Some choose to segregate these "money making" functions
in separate legal entities depending on the laws of the country. However tax
status is determined on a national basis according to the laws of that
country which you must check on.

John McAvity