ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Martin Segger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 21:18:06 +0100
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS REGARDING REVISIONS TO THE ICOM  BASIC SYLLABUS

This is to advise that ICTOP has undertaken to update and revise the ICOM
BASIC SYLLABUS.  As you know, this document underpins training and
professional development for good museum practices throughout the world.
The Syllabus was last revised in 1979.  Much has happened in the cultural
and scientific worlds since that time.  We have witnessed a rapid expansion
in museums in the developing world.  New communications technologies are
changing the way we work.  There have been dramatic changes in both the
political and economic landscapes in which museums operate.

ICTOP is therefore inviting all the committees of ICOM, both national and
international, to contribute to the syllabus revisions.  We would be most
grateful if you would use your newsletters and annual conference to discuss
this important issue.  For instance, if you would put this matter on your
annual conference agenda, your resolutions could provide a formal mechanism
for communicating the observations of your membership on this important
topic.  Submissions to the working party should reach ICTOP before October
1st. 1997.  This will provide the Committee with the time to prepare a
working document for the ICOM Triennial in 1998.

For further information you may wish to contact myself, or Ms. Nancy Fuller
(Smithsonian, Washington, e-mail: [log in to unmask] fax: 202 357-3346)
Chair, ICTOP Working Party to revise the syllabus.

 An electronic version of the Syllabus can be found at the ICTOP web site,
visited easily from the ICOM/ICTOP site at:

        http://kafka.uvic.ca/~maltwood/ictop-syllabus.html#principles

ICTOP looks forward to your cooperation.

Martin Segger
Chair, ICTOP

Martin Segger
Director
Maltwood Art Museum and Gallery &
University Centre Auditorium
Phone: 604 721-8298    Fax: 604 721-8997    E-mail: [log in to unmask]