ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ian Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:47:51 +0100
 Dear Colleagues

CAMOC museums of cities: a conference in Boston USA 1-2 May 2006

CAMOC (short for: the Collections and Activities of Museums of Cities) is ICOM's latest International Committee.   It is a forum for museums of the city and one of its central aims is to support and encourage museums in collecting, preserving and presenting original material about the past, present and future of the city, thus reinforcing the city's identity and contributing to its development.

After meetings in Moscow and Athens CAMOC is holding its first conference at Northeastern University, Boston on 1-2 May 2006.  The conference will be held in conjunction with the Centennial Meeting of the American Association of Museums (AAM) who will handle the administration of the conference and help with entry visas.

The subject of the  conference is quite simply:

Museums of the city as gateways to understanding urban life

There will be three themes:

Museums of the city as forums for the investigation and discussion of contemporary urban issues

Collecting to reflect a city's diversity

The use of new technology in presenting a city's sense of place and identity

For fuller details about the conference visit our temporary web site on www.cja-arts.com/camoc.htm  You can also  contact our Vice Chair Bob Macdonald, Emeritus Director of the Museum of the City of New York at [log in to unmask]

We look forward to meeting you in Boston and, unless you have already done so, to your joining our Committee - please visit our web site where all will be explained.

Ian Jones

Secretary of CAMOC
2 Kelvedon Road London SW6 5BW
Tel: 020 7731 6012