ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Per Rekdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 13:13:46 +0200
Cary Karp wrote:

>Quoting Per Rekdal:
>
>> The real challenge for ICOM now is to make members who do
>> have an e-mail address to report it to the ICOM Secretariat,
>> AND make the ICOM Secretariat start using the advantages of
>> electronic mail more fully.
>
>Instead of using ICOM-L to register a plea for the Secretariat to
>register a plea to the membership to report their e-mail
>addresses to the Secretariat so that the Secretariat can try to
>figure out how to use the info to better advantage, why not
>simplify things?

... Neither this, nor any alternative scheme, can be
>realized without individual ICOM members assuming full
>responsibility for their own participancy.

I have suggested to the ICOM Secretariat (through this List, which I know
they read) that they should launch a very visible campaign through ICOM
News (or perhaps through the National Committees?) in order to make ICOM
members register their e-mail-addresses to the Secretariat and I think I
have also suggested that the excistence of this List is properly and also
very visibly made known through ICOM News. I do not expect the Secretariat
to respond immediately to such proposals, but I do hope that messages on
the List about the importance of using more electronic and (when not
ncessary) less paper media, will be followed up in the manner the
Secretariat finds most functional. And I do not see appeals to use more
electronic communication as a critisism of the Secretariat. On the
contrary! They do a very good job with limited means!

Per B. Rekdal