ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bernice Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:40:30 +1100
Responding to Steven de Clercq (message 2 November 2003)

Steven, I thank you for the suggestion, and completely agree - and ask Gary
Edson to take the amendment into his record of the definitions we are
working with.
I have always been concerned to nourish that link between scientific and
cultural heritage (and I have said in earlier comments in these
conversations that scientific heritage is intimately linked to cultural
heritage - not separate, as many people assume - since both natural history
and an operational experimental science depend on a history of scientific
ideas and concepts, and once we acknowledge that, we must see that
scientific heritage is in fact WITHIN cultural heritage as a totality of
human thought and expression, not outside it).
So I thank you, Steven: that small insertion you suggest is a quite crucial
improvement, and even reinforces my intentions.

Bernice Murphy