ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 08:53:07 +1000
The downside to these awards is the impossibility of judging where judges
cannot visit every nomination - in other words, where nominations and
awards are made on the basis of a submission from each entrant. One way to
address this weakness is to request an independent report from each
national committee.

Despite the difficulty (I know it well from prior experience as a judge),
there is no doubt that the publicity that follows is very valuable - local,
national, international.

For that reason, I think an ICOM award for the year's best museum is a good
idea.

Linda Young

>As assigned by President Jacques Perot, I was representing ICOM on the
>occasion of The Best in Heritage second edition,held in Dubrovnik from
>21 September 2003.
>The event aimed to present all those museum achievements - or other
>achievements linked to cultural heritage - which have been awarded a
>special
>prize or mention during the last few years.
>18 projects were there to represent 16 countries and they showed the
>current
>trend of museology: this is the main value and the remarkable interest
>of
>the event.
>The event also showed that several national and international awards are
>assigned to museums every year. Among these, the very best known is the
>European Museum of the Year Award assigned by the European Museum Forum
>-
>such an organization brings back to memory the activity and the passion
>for
>museums which qualifies Kenneth Hudson's life - .
>However,all this has pushed me to wonder if ICOM, as representative of
>the
>museums community in the world, should create a yearly award for the
>best
>museum achievements in the world, or for the best paper or book on
>Museology, or both:
>a sort of "Nobel Prize" for museology, not excluding
>extra-european museums, as it already happens for EMF.
>This kind of award would have moreover many functions: for exemple it
>would
>provide ICOM with wide visibility all over the world thanks to an
>international event, it would create a forum for debates,it would incite
>researches as for what relates to museum communication, it would spur
>museum
>and their owners to renovate the production of museums achievements.
>I here suggest this idea to the Executive Council, to the Advisory
>Committee
>and to all ICOM members, urging to open a debate on this.
>
>Giovanni Pinna
>Member of the Executive Council

>e-mail:     [log in to unmask]
>web page:   http://giovanni.pinna.cx

Dr Linda Young
Senior Lecturer, Cultural Heritage Management
University of Canberra
Tel: 02-6201 2079