ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Martin Schaerer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:48:37 -0400
Comments from Giovanni Pinna concerning the suggestions of the
International Committee Task Force

Best thanks for these comments. Since our document had to be very brief,
there may be some vagueness or misunderstandings and clarifications are
necessary. That's why I give hereafter some comments to Giovanni's mail. I
thank Per Rekdal for his help in preparing these explanations.

ICOM-L: In this phase of the discussion, the only reasonable way to
communicate with ICOM members in short time is ICOM-L. We are aware that we
can only reach a minority of the membership. Our document will be
circulated to all chairpersons of International Committees and Affiliated
Organizations for preparing a discussion on 3 June 2003 in the context of
the separate International Committee meeting during the next Advisory
meeting in Paris. Afterwrd, a report will be given to the Executive Council
for decision.

Creation of new International Committees: We had extensive discussions
about the number of ICOM members needed to make a proposition for a new
international committee. To avoid too local inititives, we opted for 50
members from at least 10 countries in more than one continent. Of course,
we can eternally discuss the appropriate number, but we think that the
committees should really be international. The figure actually mentioned in
the statutes (art. 17,5) is 10. If we keep this figure, we should of course
reduce the number of countries.

Fiscal accountability and legal autonomy: We don't share the opinion that
more auronomy will weaken ICOM. Since International Committees are so
different in size we should accept different organization models and let
the committees choose the appropriate one, of course within specific rules
and within a given framework agreement. Our document cannot give details,
everything is open to the creativity of each committee. We can only give
some basic principles. Since we are well aware of the actual problems we
intend to allow more autonomy to the International Committees for adequate
solutions.

Framework agreement: It is one of the core documents to define reciprocal
responsabilities and collaboration. Let's not forget that there is actually
a dangerous vacuum of stated principles and rules. This was no problem when
ICOM was founded and the international committees had some thirty members.
Today, at least some of these committees are real organizations by
themselves. Actually, funds are allocated by ICOM without any kind of
receipt or commitment. The framework agreement will among other things
reduce the risk of ICOM to get involved into irresponsible behaviour.

New Standing Committee on International Committees: According to our Task
Force it is absolutely necessary to have a body in charge of the
International Committees (creation, operation, evaluation). The ICOM
organization will not get more complicated since we have a specific body
that will be able to prepare the decisions of the Executive Council.
Neither will it increase management costs since we work in a militia system
and many decisions can be taken electonically. Dont't forget also that this
new Standing Committee is not meant as a controlling body. It has to advise
the Executive Council in all matters concerning the International Committes
and to identify emerging issues and new initiatives to advance the work of
ICOM through International Committees. And very important: it should also
advice any International Committee in difficulty.

To sum up: We consider that our proposals are balanced and represent a
coherent entirety. Since we foster as much autonomy as possible for
individual approaches and solutions and since we accept a plurality of
working  models we have to define clear basic principles for the creation,
operation and avaluation of International Committees. This includes also a
clear definition of the relationship between ICOM and International
Committees. Moreover, a body in charge of the application of the system is
necessary.

We are looking forward to the dicussions next June in Paris

Martin R.Schärer
Member of the Executive Council
Coordinator of ICTF