ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:41:51 +0000
In message <Pine.GSO.3.95q.991127080321.21768E-100000@exeter>, Boylan P
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>One of the key questions posed by Bernice Murphy is setting out her agenda
>for the ICOM Reform Task Force, and circulated a few weeks ago on ICOM-L,
>though not yet mailed out to the national and international committees,
>focused explicitly on this: is it in any way democratic that only those
>able to put up probably several thousand dollars a year or their own (or
>somebody else's) money can become Chairperson of and International
>Committee (with a place on the Advisory Committee), and even more to serve
>on the Executive Council.

Or, indeed, at any level of the board of an international committee.
Hotels and airlines charge the same to chairpeople and board members.
(I know Patrick was inclusive of all people on international committees,
I'm just too lazy to go and check Bernice's actual words).

The committee of which I have personal experience (ICMAH) suffered
because it's ordinary board members were largely drawn from medium sized
and small institutions.  For example: a colleague from Africa could only
attend a few meetings, and my own personal inability to pay for a flight
to Lebanon was one factor which lead to a board meeting being inquorate.
The chairman, being highly placed in a national organization in Europe,
was fully funded by his organization.

If individual and institutional members were paying for meetings, then
would they not feel more inclined to ensure that the meetings were of
good quality, and value for money?  (Goodness, what a Thatcherite view,
I can't believe I just typed that!)

Best wishes to all,
--
Pat Reynolds