From:
Steve Teeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:19:10 -0600
On Tuesday, December 07, 1999 8:17 PM, Blue Ridge Concepts, Ltd.
[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
> I realize this is an academic exercise, but Ms. Doss does raise an
> interesting question.  She states as a fact that a "Sambo" doll is
offensive
> in today's culture.
>
> So are the various flags of the Confederacy, but because they are part of
> the cultural heritage of the region we serve, they are exhibited.  We
have a
> bride's silk wedding gown, which she converted into a Confederate battle
> flag for use by her new husband and the unit he commanded.  These items
tell
> a story that speaks for itself.

I believe this is exactly right, so long as the operative word is
"exhibited."  A Confederate battle flag as part of a history exhibit on the
Civil War tells one story, says one thing.  The battle flag flown from a
twenty foot pole in front of some guy's house in the suburbs says another
thing entirely.  Context and purpose make all the difference.

Sometimes you run into people who claim that emblems and symbols of racism,
or of what we now consider benighted racial attitudes, like the "Sambo" or
"Mammy" dolls under discussion, should not be used in contexts where
children will be exposed to them.  That children, especially black
children, could be upset or shocked by such things, their delicate
sensibilities traumatized.  To this I say: puh-leeeze.  Spend some time on
a playground and listen to the way kids taunt one another.  If they can
survive that, they can survive without harm a well done museum exhibit in
decent taste, no matter what the subject matter or imagery.

Steve Teeter, Jazz Curator
Louisiana State Museum
http://lsm.crt.state.la.us/

Museum-L" (without the quotes).