From:
Karen Bradford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 16:09:08 -0800
There are many direct-mail marketing services, but unless you have an
excellent referral from another business for its up-to-date reliability, I
would not consider one: I receive many mailings that show my previous
married name from over 10 years ago! What a waste of money for that
outdated list!

You may not know that many newspapers use direct mail as part of market
penetration for their advertisers. The circulation department knows who is
a subscriber in its market area, so the advertising department then targets
nonsubscribers with separate, mailed advertisements. In this way, their
advertisers are assured of reaching virtually everyone with an address.
Some papers, such as the Los Angeles Times, offer a direct mail program
(combining the two lists) to other advertisers. It may also refund ones
that turn out to be "bad addresses."

In your proposal, you might also suggest inserting a flyer into your local
newspaper (called a PID for "print, insert & deliver"): Ask the advertising
department about this. Depending upon the newspaper, this can be targeted
into micro-areas of your choice. Make sure your coupon states it "must be
presented" at your museum so you can track its effectiveness.

Another consideration is asking for newspaper co-sponsorship. In my
previous life, I was the public relations manager of our largest regional
newspaper. If I was approached by nonprofit groups, I always gave them at
least one free ad space for fundraising events, and often became a
co-sponsor.

I encourage you to call your local newspaper (before lunch is always best)
and ask its policy for co-sponsorship. Some points you want to remember
are: offering exclusive media sponsorship for the events if there are
competing newspapers in the area; give attendance figures or how many
people your event attracts; and the mission of your museum. Be creative,
and good luck!

Museum-L" (without the quotes).