From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:28:39 -0800
Now, on the one hand, I sense and understand your
frustration.

However, in the world of the job market, it's usually
not that simple.  I spent 24 years in my last job and
knew for the last two I would soon jump.  I spent a
lot of time aggregating and amassing employment links
and frequently queried to see what market standard
would pay.  Understand that I was jumping from a
salary that paid between $50 and $60K a year with
rather handsome benefits, and I realized that
transition would probably mean less salary given the
fact that this was a career and not just a job change.

My experience in querying is that a majority of the
job postings DO NOT (and that's anywhere) indicate
what the  salary and/or salary range for the posted
position will be.  They are frequently couched with
"salary based on experience and education" or words to
that effect.

Where I do see salary ranges posted is within civil
service jobs and jobs within an organization structure
where job classifications are defined and published,
especially as it relates to promotion.

Further, though I realize you are frustrated in your
quest, phrases like treat me like an adult come across
more like petulant adolescents, IMHO (or maybe that's
just because I'm a grandmother with in their 20s
children, LOL).

Perhaps your request will encourage others to post
their market figures.  However, I've learned three
things in this arena:

1.  You can always send an email to the poster
privately and ask about the figure.  You may or may
not get a response, but it could help you in your
decision as to whether or not to go to the effort to
apply for such a job.

2.  Most positions posted are like playing poker.
Folks don't frequently reveal their hand when they're
playing except if "they win you over" and you accept
their job, and interviews are frequently like the
courting game.  Say anything to get hired or to hire
someone, and it changes like crazy once hitched.

3.  Don't treat a job application like your life
depends upon it, even if it does.

    Treat it like the emotional roller coaster it is.
Submit your application like you would money for an
E-ticket ride (and if you're old enough to remember
what an E-ticket is, you must be about my age, LOL),
and then just let it go.

    Once you've applied, don't frit, frat, and fret
over every subtle nuance.  It will make you neurotic,
and it will make you psychologically disadvantaged in
the interview game.  You will come across as too needy
and apt to be paid less as a result because you can't
play poker well enough.

But, hey, what do I know?  I jumped from the above job
to one that pays even more, and it came to me
unsolicited.  Now that's a brilliant gift of fate!

It's the listings that
> refuse to mention any salary
> figures at all that insult our intelligence, and
> that I simply delete
> immediately.  Going to the trouble of applying and
> providing resumes,
> references, etc., when the pay being offered may in
> no way sustain life as
> we know it is more time than I care to waste.  Treat
> us like grownups--dare
> I say it, professionals--with a little respect.

=====
Indigo Nights