Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 10:59:05 EST
Hello everyone,

Has anyone gone through the experience of legally separating from a parent
organization to become an independent, self-sufficient museum?

Our museum was founded by a fraternal benefit society which is the main
source of our financial support. The museum has become increasingly more
expensive to run and the society's board would like to see the museum become
a separate entity. As I understand it, to be able to actively pursue other
funding sources the museum needs to have a 501(c)(3) nonprofit status (Our
current classification is as a 501(c)(8)). We have obtained a certificate of
incorporation from the state, but that's about all that has been done up to
this point. I'm really not sure what the next step in the process is.

My biggest concerns revolve around how the museum is going to support itself
financially without help from our parent organization. Or is there a way to
split off and still receive monetary support? If anyone has dealt with a
situation similar to this I would really like to hear how you accomplished
the transition. Any advice, suggestions, or contacts would be greatly
appreciated! Thanks for your help.

Beth Gabryszak
Czechoslovak Heritage Museum
Oak Brook, IL